The Osprey

To the High School Seniors of 2017

Every year, there are at least ninety to one million articles (rough estimate) about what you need to do before you leave high school. Since we want people to view our website, and since most people are sheep that will rush to any seemingly sentimental article at the end of their high school career, I’ve been tasked with writing an article doing the exact same thing every Buzzfeed-wannabe-website does.

So, yeah, we’re about to graduate and you’re probably more nostalgic than your dad when he found out that Roseanne was getting a revival. Go, um, go look at that thing you once looked at when you were at least five years younger than you are now. Then go look at another thing that you liked. Did you watch Toy Story? Watch it again. I guess it will keep you busy. Or maybe go take a weekend and visit New York with friends to create some new memories instead of just looking back at what happened. Satchel Paige once said, “don’t look back–something might be gaining on you.” I don’t know what that means but I think it applies here. There’s nothing wrong with being nostalgic. I’ve gone and looked back at memories, but only for a moment every once in a while. Don’t waste the guaranteed time you have left with your friends just looking back.

I just realized I was becoming too genuine and will return to a more “optimistic and crowd-pleasing” tone.

Wow! You are about to have your last ___, ____, and ____ EVER! Isn’t that super depressing? You better go to every single town event from now to September because, once you leave, your town will be absorbed into a black hole and you will never see it again. Sports? Gone. Town fair? Nope. Literally anything? Nada.

The higher-ups have just informed me that I have displayed too much sarcasm. I apologize.

Think about how you’re going to leave all of your friends and family. That is sad. Also you’re going to leave your pets, and, also, college will change you completely and your whole life path rests on the two classes you decided to take instead of–I don’t think I can go on with the pandering anymore.

Yes, you are leaving soon. Yes, this is an incredibly emotional time in your life. Yes, there are many things that will not be the same when you return. But, look back on the town  throughout your life. Has it changed? Unless you live in one of those Amish settlements–in which case, how are you reading this?– it has changed constantly. It will change just like it always has and just like you will. I am in no way saying to not be appreciative of what your home has to offer, but you have so much more to explore. Think about how you did something new for your senior project. Even if you realized you didn’t like whatever you chose, you probably enjoyed the prospect of learning something new. So don’t let the past completely take control of your break. Go do something. I don’t care what it is, but I can tell you, from personal experience, that in almost every situation, something is better than nothing. It doesn’t have to be something big. You don’t need to do an extreme sport every day, but you also shouldn’t stay stagnant in memories that can’t be recreated.

Use this time to make sure you are absolutely comfortable with who you are before you’re in a school with over one thousand new people. Articles will tell you to hold on to all that will go away once you’re in college, but you’re going to regret this when you aren’t ready for the transition. Learn to be independent. Learn to ask for help. Learn to be whoever it is you really are because the world really opens up when you become an individual. Work towards the future, don’t fight against it. Your past will still be with you no matter where you are because it is a part of you.

One last thing, it’s perfectly fine to be afraid of college, but just remember this: The school won’t make you, you will.

1 Comment

One Response to “To the High School Seniors of 2017”

1. Natalie Rugg on May 24th, 2017 8:35 pm

Beautifully written; the Osprey will miss you as you move on to change the world.

[Reply]

• To the High School Seniors of 2017

Opinion/Editorial

A Bit About Feminism

• To the High School Seniors of 2017

Opinion/Editorial

Promposal Disposal

• To the High School Seniors of 2017

Opinion/Editorial

Pro at Being Me…?

• To the High School Seniors of 2017

Features

Exiled to Club Penguin Island

• To the High School Seniors of 2017

Opinion/Editorial

Our New Masthead

• To the High School Seniors of 2017

Opinion/Editorial

Why it’s Literally Fine to be Basic

• To the High School Seniors of 2017

Creative Writing

What to do about you

• To the High School Seniors of 2017

Features

The Crucible, From a First Time Actor’s Perspective

• To the High School Seniors of 2017

News

What happened on Tuesday?

• To the High School Seniors of 2017

Features

Fashion Column: Formal vs. Casual

To the High School Seniors of 2017