The Osprey

Filed under Showcase, Sports

GTEN at Shorelines

Last Wednesday and Thursday LOLHS Girl’s Tennis Team (GTEN) caused a “racquet” at Shorelines. The line-up for singles players was: Keelin Hurtt at 1st Singles, Brynn Myglinchy at 2nd Singles, Kellie Sablone at 3rd Singles, and Emma Bass at 4th Singles. Keelin made it to the semifinals where she unfortunately lost to Haddam Killingworth’s 1st Singles player, Emily Beck. After the match Keelin said, “That’s the best I’ve played all season! The score did not reflect the game.” Although Keelin lost in Semis she still won 1st Team All-Shoreline. As for the other singles players, they all made it to the 2nd or 3rd round. GTEN Coach Tracy Lenz says, “each girl went big and played their best!”

The doubles line-up was: Marissa Smith and Shannon Nosal at 1st Doubles, Callie Kotzan and Maria Donato at 2nd Doubles, and Emily O’Brien and Sophie Warlitz at 3rd Doubles. Marissa and Shannon were the 2nd seed throughout the season, only losing to Coginchaug’s 1st Doubles Team who were seeded number 1. Last year Marissa and Shannon made it to the finals in Shorelines and lost against Coginchaug so they were ready for their victory this year. Unfortunately, the girls made it to semifinals and had to play against Valley Regional’s 1st Doubles team. “We went in strong winning the two first games” said Marissa, “but Valley came back.” Shannon and Marissa ended up losing their first set in a tie breaker and their second set by 4-6. “I was pretty disappointed and shocked just because we had beaten Valley during the season,” said Shannon. The girls were pleased though to see Valley almost win against Coginchaug in the final where they lost in a 3rd set between a tiebreaker. Both Shannon and Marissa made second team All-Shoreline. The 2nd doubles made it to quarterfinals losing to Coginchaug 1st doubles who ultimately won Shorelines. The 3rd doubles team was undefeated against all the 3rd doubles and made it to quarterfinals unfortunately losing to Cromwell 1st Doubles.

GTEN played in States against Northwest Catholic on Sunday but only 1st doubles and 3rd doubles won, so GTEN’s season is over but all the girls feel very accomplished and have remained, “the nicest and most fun team in the Shoreline,” says Mrs. Lenz.