The Osprey

Filed under News

Virtual High School: The Facts

Many students often wonder about Virtual High School (VHS) and have many questions that often remain unanswered. VHS is a website where students from all over the world have the opportunity to take online courses. VHS is an excellent way to learn about topics that you’re interested in that you cannot learn about in school. There are dozens of different courses that cover an extensive range of topics. From science to business to foreign languages, you’re bound to be interested in at least one of the courses, if not more. The levels of the classes also vary too. There are AP classes and non-leveled classes. I am currently enrolled in the class, Italian Language and Culture, which I really enjoy because while learning the Italian language, I also learn many fascinating things about daily life and places in Italy.
There are numerous advantages to taking a class on VHS. One of the things that makes a VHS course different than your average class in school is that you can do all of the work at your own pace, prior to the due date of course. All of the work for the class is due on Tuesday at midnight. That is when the VHS school week ends. There may be some exceptions for the due dates of assignments. In my class for example, we have a discussion post due almost every Friday night. Since the majority of the schoolwork is due Tuesday night, you have a whole week to finish all of your assignments.

One of the most important things when it comes to doing your work is that you plan accordingly to give yourself enough time to complete everything. It is crucial to take into account the fact that the VHS work is not just homework, but also classwork like you would do during the day at school. This may make the workload seem a lot heavier than it actually is. Another advantage to VHS is that it is more organized and you have all of your work in one place. You don’t have to worry about losing papers because everything is online. This makes it very easy to refer back to previous lessons. I would recommend taking notes though, especially if you are taking a language. In addition, since everything is online, you do not have to worry about not hearing something the teacher said or missing schoolwork if you are sick.

A question I am frequently asked is if I get a lot of work assigned in my class. In all honesty, the amount of work assigned really varies from week to week just as it does in a normal class. Some weeks are very busy and can be stressful while other weeks are actually quite calm. I often do not receive a lot of work for the week if I have a project or group project (yes, we have those) that I am working on for that class.
Another positive to VHS is that you can enroll in multiple classes a year and you don’t have to take the classes during the school day. You can sign up for multiple classes in one semester, which I would not recommend doing since one class can be very stressful at times. You also have the option of taking one class for each semester since most classes are only a semester long. Some of the more advanced classes can be a year long though. The start and end date of the course are important things to take into account when selecting your course. You may choose to take a course during the first semester only if you play a sport in the spring, for example. If you are busy after school, then you can take the VHS class during the school day. If you cannot fit a VHS course into your normal school schedule, then the alternative to that would be to just take it at home on your on time.

Following my experience with Virtual High School, I would recommend taking a course to anyone who is interested because there is such a large selection of courses and there is a class for everyone on VHS. Taking an online class can help develop time management skills in addition to enriching your learning experience.