The Osprey

Filed under News

A Recap of Braiden’s Time on The Voice

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Recap of Braiden’s Time on The Voice

The faces of all LOLHS students were glued to TV screens as everyone eagerly awaited to see Braiden Sunshine’s audition on the hit NBC show, The Voice. On September 21, Braiden appeared on the first episode of the season as he auditioned for the show.

In the first round of The Voice, the blind auditions, the artist sings a song of their choice to four judges, who are facing away from the artist. This season’s judges are Blake Shelton, Pharrell Williams, Gwen Stefani, and Adam Levine. The purpose of the auditions being “blind” is so the only factor that influences the judges’ decisions is the sound of the artist’s voice. The song that he chose to sing was, “The Mountains Win Again”. Two judges turned right at the end of the performance, Gwen Stefani and Pharrell Williams. After a moment of consideration, Braiden chose Gwen to be his coach.

The second round of The Voice kicked off on October 19. The performances during the second round of The Voice are known as the battles. In these performances, two, or occasionally three, artists with the same coach compete against each other for a spot on their coach’s team. The artists sing a duet and at the end of their performance their coach decides who the winner is. The losing artist can be stolen, meaning that a different coach can choose to have them on their team. If the artist doesn’t get stolen, then they get sent home. In his battle round, Braiden was paired with Lyndsey Elm, who got a four-chair turn in the auditions. After a stellar performance of, “No One Is To Blame,” Braiden was declared the winner and Lyndsey was sent home, allowing Braiden to advance to the next round.

The third round approached and Braiden was up against Ellie Lawrence for the knockouts. In the knockout rounds, two artists sing compete against each other, but they sing different songs. Braiden sang the Michael Buble song, “Feeling Good,” and nailed it. Gwen decided that Braiden should be the winner and he continued on to the following round.

The ending of the knockout rounds meant that it was time for the live playoffs, where the artists all go against each other and perform a song of their choice live. In the live playoffs, it’s up to the viewers to vote for who they want to stay on the show. The performances kicked off with twelve artists remaining. In the first round, Braiden sang, “Renegade,” a song by the band Styx. Braiden was voted into the Top 11 and advanced to the next live round.

The next week, the second live round aired. After a stellar performance of the song, “True,” Braiden was voted into the Top 10. The following week, he performed the Imagine Dragons song, “Radioactive”. He ended up in the bottom two, so he had to go up against Korin Bukowski for a spot in the Top 9. Both artists had to pick a song to perform with the hope of getting instantly saved by America. After both performances, people flocked to Twitter to vote for the artist they wanted to see on the next episode. Five minutes later, when all the votes were in, Braiden was deemed the winner after receiving 51% of the votes for his performance of, “Harder to Breathe”.

Next week, Braiden will compete on The Voice for a spot in the Top 4. The competition is getting really tough so Braiden can use all the votes he can get. So be sure to tune into NBC on Monday at 8:00 pm next week to catch Braiden’s performance! And don’t forget to vote!