The Osprey

What happened on Tuesday?

All the pundits were wrong. Blame complacency, blame a lack of appeal, blame poor turnout. Or, maybe you’re praising those qualities of this election. The future of our country was decided on November 8th, 2016, and students were very eager to share their views throughout the election season and after.

Walking through the halls of our school, I know I heard “Trump” more than “Hillary.” I don’t think the majority of our students were supporters, as Old Lyme is predominately a democratic town, but those who did support Trump had some of the louder voices. Whether it was wearing Trump-Pence flags as capes, donning the iconic “Make America Great Again” hats, or just talking about him, Trump supporters maintained a very strong presence in our school.

John Gibson, notorious or notable avid Trump supporter, was kind enough to share his thoughts on the election. John’s a guy who enjoys to pick a fight, but when it comes down to a serious talk about the issues, he is quite willing to have a civil political conversation.

“When I saw that Trump won, it was just sheer delightment [sic]. I’m necessarily surprised because I think a big part of his voter basis was the closet voter who didn’t want to admit that they were going to vote for Trump, but they actually ended up [voting for him]. And I really, really like the fact that Trump supports the second amendment. I like the fact that he wants to put America first over —he doesn’t support worldism [sic]. He wants to lower taxes, and also, I do trust Trump. I think he is a narcissist, I think he is a misogynist, but I think he is honest, I think he’s open, and I don’t think he’ll be able to run on a misogynistic view and be successful as president.”

While John Gibson wasn’t able to vote on Tuesday, he definitely showed his commitment to politics this fall, and in four years I do not doubt he’ll be handing in a ballot. John knows his candidate and acknowledges his faults for what they are.

For some in our school, the faults of President-Elect Donald Trump are too great to ignore or hope away. His stance on immigration, guns, trade, and his numerous insults, gaffs, and offensive proposals upset and worry many students in the school. I sat down with Anna Catlett to ask how she felt about the results of the election on the Wednesday after.

“I was really disappointed in the fact that our country can’t realize that a misogynistic, racist man will be leading us. So I was sad.”

While Anna was not able to vote as a junior, the effects of the election will impact her for years to come. She has to live through a Trump presidency for at least four years. She might not be happy about this, but senior Callie Kotzan, widely regarded as a liberal feminist, wanted to give the man a chance:

“I’m a little nervous for the future of America, but if he won, he won, and I guess there’s nothing we can do about it at this point.”

Callie’s not wrong. Donald Trump will be the next president of the United States whether we like it or not. Donald Trump will either usher in a new age of prosperity for America or distrupt our “sweet land of liberty.” Whatever the case, we do have to give him the presidency. John might be excited at this prospect. But for Anna and Callie, who felt like they lost on the 8th, just remember that you don’t have to stop fighting for what you believe in.

Well, that’s what happened on Tuesday, November 8th, 2016. What will happen in the future is left unanswered.