Exiled to Club Penguin Island

March 10, 2017

“The weird, weird thing about devastating loss is that life actually goes on. When

you’re faced with a tragedy, a loss so huge that you have no idea how you can live

through it, somehow, the world keeps turning, the seconds keep ticking.”

– James Patterson

It was approximately 12:07 PM on Wednesday, February 1, when I first received the news. Immediately, a tidal wave of emotions and questions flooded my head. How could this happen? Why? Who’s behind this? I was dumbstruck; I simply had no words. Never did I imagine that the day would come when Club Penguin met its demise.

In desperate need of answers, I took to the Club Penguin(CP) website. There, hovering ominously at the top of my screen, was the notice that CP would be closing on March 29. My jaw dropped as I realized this was no hoax. I felt so powerless; my childhood was being ripped away from me and there was nothing I could do to stop it. Hoping to make some sense of this ordeal, I decided to call CP to ascertain the facts. Upon calling the first time, I was greeted by an exuberant woman, whose name I will not disclose for privacy purposes. I informed her that I was inquiring about the closure of CP, and she confirmed my fears. I tried to reason with her, asking if we could petition this atrocity. To my dismay, she informed me that no petition could keep CP going.

Distraught, I hung up, only to call back a few minutes later with a couple more questions. On this occasion, I found myself speaking with another genial woman, whose name I will not reveal not for privacy purposes, but because I simply never determined what it actually was. I queried whether the CP website could be purchased from Disney, since apparently CP is shutting down because it has been active for many years now (12.5 to be exact) and they “want to move on to new, exciting adventures.” I was once again thoroughly disappointed to hear that CP cannot be purchased and will ultimately meet its doom at the end of the month.

During my investigation, I repeatedly came across promotions for Club Penguin Island. Intrigued by this downgraded version of CP, I decided to look into it. From my research, I gathered that Club Penguin Island, which I will refer to as CPI for simplicity’s sake, is a mobile app that is set to come out some time this year. I was also disheartened when my research revealed that your penguin from CP will not transfer to CPI. So, essentially, I spent almost 10 years working on my penguin only to have it wrested from me just like my happiness. Incredibly hurt by this, I decided that I would renew my CP membership to make the last couple months count. Naturally, it turned out I had missed the deadline to renew my membership by 1 day. 1 day. Now, not only did I have to carry the weight of the knowledge that CP was closing with me, but I also lost my igloo, my clothing, and my other special privileges. But the disappointment didn’t stop there, as I was not able to purchase my CP alumni jacket since I was no longer a member. I felt so betrayed. I had been loyal to CP for almost 10 years, and that was the payment I got.

CP’s doomsday is inevitable and rapidly approaching. Now, the only things that you can do are pray, and check off all the items on your CP bucket list. In this time of great hardship and infamy, we must remain strong because life has to go on.

RIP Club Penguin