Beyond Old Lyme

May 17, 2017

In less than a month, our seniors will be leaving us and starting their own lives. Independent, they will attend college, start a career, serve in the military, and find themselves. What is the class of 2017 doing after their graduation on June 15?

The vast majority of those responding to the survey indicate that they will be attending college next fall. Other paths our classmates will follow include enlisting in the military, experiencing the world through a gap year, and going straight to career, according to the survey. And still others don’t know what their plans will be. 

Where are our scholars attending? The answer is everywhere. Several of our students will be staying in state, attending private schools like University of Hartford, University of New Haven, and Quinnipiac, and others attending state universities like Western Connecticut State University, Southern Connecticut State University, and the University of Connecticut. Others will be remaining in the New England area, attending colleges like Boston College, Bowdoin College, Brown University, Nichols College, University of Vermont, Western New England University. And the rest of our students are scattered all across the country, some attending Allegheny College, American University, Miami University, Skidmore College, Tulane University, and the University of Tampa.

Our students who are not college bound as of right now include senior Brian Winters, who seeks to do combat construction in the US Navy. Brian seeks this goal so that “[I can] serve for the people that served for me.” Sophie Warlitz hopes to be able to travel to Europe for community service during her gap year before she studies business. She says about her choice, “I chose this since I don’t feel that I’ve had an opportunity to really figure out what I want. I hope that with a gap year I can see the world and find out what I love.” And still other students will be taking either a gap year or are not certain about their future plans, as they would like to continue in athletics.

What do our students see themselves doing?

The majority of our students who took the survey will be going into business or its related fields. Of course, this is excluding the “other” category, which includes such fields as library science and elementary education.

Good luck to all our seniors going off into the real world! Lyme-Old Lyme will always be here for you.