The Osprey

Filed under Features, Reviews

The Horrors of October: The Halloween Movie List

Horror movies have become a major part of pop culture and cinema. They began as early as film as has been around, and saw a rise in the 1960s with classics by Alfred Hitchcock and George A. Romero; such as Psycho and Night of the Living Dead. In the 70s horror movies has a resurgence and took the world by storm. Over the next five decades, horror movies became a staple of American cinema. New films come out all the time, and people watch them throughout the summer and fall. However, as October and the Halloween season come around each year; horror movies are consumed at a higher rate by many more people. I was curious to see the selections from several teachers, and to see if they liked horror films. These were my findings.

I actually found that several of the teachers I spoke to are not horror movie fans, but most have a memory of a specific horror movie that shocked them. Mr. Elliot recounted seeing The Exorcist upon its release in an area not too far from the film’s setting. The Exorcist, which is considered to be one of if not the scariest horror film of all time, was one of the masterpieces which came from the 1970s horror wave. My next interview was with Mr. Lillie, who told me the first Scream film had him frightened. Scream was a slasher film series which began in the 1990s. Slasher films are fictional horror movies based around a central antagonist, who is always a serial killer. Mrs. Walter told me one of her favorites was An American Werewolf in London, which was a famous horror-comedy from the 1980s. Mr. Lillie also mentioned Rocky Horror Picture Show as a favorite, which similar to American Werewolf is a horror-comedy. Mrs. Burke also highlighted Stephen King’s Salem’s Lot as a horror movie which frightened her.

Scream (1996)

There were two other teachers who mentioned horror movies that personally are favorites of mine. Ms. Williams mentioned Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining as her favorite horror film. Personally, The Shining is one of my favorites. It’s based on Stephen King’s novel, and tells the story of an author and his family who become caretakers of The Overlook Hotel for one winter. Eventually, the author goes mad and attempts to kill his family. The Shining is considered not only one of the best horror films of the 1980s, but of all time. Despite it even being a horror film, it is a masterpiece of cinema; from its masterful cinematography to its amazing performances. Finally, I asked Mr. Eckhart his favorite horror film and we share the same favorite: The Blair Witch Project. In modern horror films, found footage films such as Paranormal Activity and Grave Encounters have swept the mainstream. However, this sub genre of horror films started with The Blair Witch Project. In 1999, the film was released as a low-budget movie with the promotion stunt of being portrayed as real found footage. Found footage horror films are movies in which the characters are filming the movie themselves, giving the audience a heightened sense of realism. In The Blair Witch Project, three filmmakers go into the woods in Maryland to make a documentary about the Blair Witch. While making their film, they are terrorized by the witch. However, the audience never sees much except for creepy symbols. Lots of scary sounds add to the film’s terror. I have seen lots of horror films, but to this day The Blair Witch Project is the only film which has ever scared me upon first viewing.

The Shining (1980)

I recommend viewing all of these horror film classics and then some. Several other classics that deserve to be highlighted are The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974), Halloween (1978), The Silence of the Lambs (1991), The Sixth Sense (1999), Sinister (2012) and The Conjuring (2013). These are some of my personal favorites and are some of the genre’s best. I recommend staying away from some of the cheesy B-level horror movies on Netflix, and instead focusing on these classics.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)