Trex Recycling Program

February 8, 2018

Did you know that over a million plastic bags are used around the world every minute? That means that every year, about 500 billion plastic bags are used. But where does all that plastic go? After all, you don’t see dozens of plastic bags scattered across your lawn or hanging from your trees. Well, that’s because in the oceans, there are 46,000 pieces of plastic per square mile. That’s crazy, and entirely preventable too. This is where Trex comes in. Trex is a green company that manufactures eco-friendly decking. In fact, their decks are 95% recycled wood and plastic.

So what on earth does LOLHS have to do with Trex? Well, every year, Trex runs a recycling program that hundreds of schools across the US participate in. The goal of the competition is to collect the most plastic bags, and this year, LOLHS is joining in. You can help by bringing your plastic bags from home to the Trex recycling bin in the Commons, which is labeled and has a big green arrow pointing down at it. Anything from plastic grocery bags to ziplock bags to plastic wrap can be placed in the box to be recycled. At the end of every month, members of Community Service Club weigh the plastic collected,  report it to Trex, and bring the plastic to a Trex drop-off site. The competition ends April 15th, at which point the school that collected the most plastic will be awarded a bench made from recycled plastic.

So be sure to drop off any plastic bags you have in the Trex recycling bin in the Commons so they can be recycled instead of polluting the Earth!

Source: https://www.ecowatch.com/22-facts-about-plastic-pollution-and-10-things-we-can-do-about-it-1881885971.html