The Osprey

Filed under News

National School Walkout – March 14

The wake of the February 14th shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High in Parkland, Florida has seen its survivors rally for a movement to never have such a school shooting again. A week after the massacre, students, teachers, and parents met with the president in Washington to discuss the epidemic of school shootings and come up with solutions. The same day, a town hall was hosted by CNN in Florida were the Parkland community grilled Senators Marco Rubio (R), Bill Nelson (D), and Representative Ted Deutch (D) over gun control. Where this tragedy-stricken community stands is clear. The audience roared cheering after Senator Rubio remarked “the problem that once you start looking at how easy it is to [exploit gun law loopholes] you would literally have to ban every semi-automatic rifle that’s sold in America.”

Bolstering the Never Again movement was a national school walkout on March 14th, organized by Women’s March Youth Empower, a “women-led movement providing intersectional education on a diverse range of issues and creating entry points for new grassroots activists & organizers to engage in their local communities.” At 10 AM that Wednesday, thousands of students walked out of their high schools for seventeen minutes for the seventeen people who were killed in the Florida high school shooting. This walkout, however, was certainly not just the usual “thoughts and prayers” for victims of mass shootings; it was a roar for concrete changes to gun and mental health laws. On March 14th, Lyme-Old Lyme participated in the national walkout.