The Osprey

Filed under Features, Reviews

On The Rvn- Young Thug

Back to Article
Back to Article

On The Rvn- Young Thug

Young thug released On The Rvn on September 24th, 2018. The EP contains six songs, including features from 6lack, Jaden Smith, and even Elton John.

The first song, aptly titled “On The Run”, has a good beat and a strong base to support Young Thug’s high energy. I like this song because it has a catchy hook and is not too complicated. The beat and lyrics are simple but enjoyable. I would give this song an 8/10.

The second song on the EP is Icey. The beat on this song is amazing, making the song an instant slapper. Young Thug’s rapping accompanies the beat well, changing tempos often to give the song an extra flare. This is definitely a unique sounding song, deserving an 8.5/10.

The third song on the EP is Climax, featuring 6lack. This is the best song on the album hands down. Young Thug’s singing on this track sounds really good and 6lack compliments it well. The guitar instrumental in the background adds to the nostalgic vibe. This is not a hype song like the other ones, but the production on this song is flawless. Overall, this deserves a 9.5/10.

The fourth song on the EP is Sin, featuring Jaden Smith. Young Thug bounces back from the last song and returns with another high base hype song, broken up by Jaden Smith’s chorus. I normally do not like Jaden Smith, but his vocals sound great on this track. The song combines a high energy vibe with a more mellow vibe to create a great blend. Young Thug’s rapping style is very unique, and I don’t believe many other rappers would have sounded as good on the track. Overall, I would give this song a 9/10 because it is versatile in the environments you can play it in.

The fifth song on the album is Real in My Veins, featuring T-Shyne. Before listening to this song, I had no idea who T-Shyne was, so I was skeptical of how it would sound. The song resembled Climax because it utilized a less intense beat and wasn’t as focused on the high energy vibe of the other songs. Young Thug changed his tempo and pitch throughout the song, which I really liked because it didn’t resemble other rappers, which is a common problem in rap today. I would give this song an 8.5/10.

The final song on the album is High, a remix to Elton John’s Rocket Man. I like the concept Young Thug was going for with this track, but his vocals did not sound how I would have hoped for. On the chorus, the auto tune was too much as he was trying to match Elton John’s pitch. I liked his rapping at the end of the song and I applaud him for his ingenuity, so I will give this song an 8/10.

Overall, I really enjoyed this album. I did not expect much because Young Thug released another album just a few weeks before, but I can honestly say this is one of my favorite albums of the year. I like that I can hit shuffle on the album and not feel the need to skip one song because they are exclusively bangers.