The Osprey

Filed under News, Sports

Lyme-Old Lyme High School Volleyball Team Hosts “Superman Night” for Joe Fouquette

Back to Article
Back to Article

This Wednesday, October 10, the Lyme-Old Lyme High School Girls’ Volleyball team will host a fundraiser to honor the memory of Joe Fouquette, who passed away this summer after a long battle with thyroid cancer. Joe’s daughter Leah is a varsity player for the volleyball team, so the players wan t to support her and her family in any way they can.

Every year, the volleyball team has a fundraiser where all the proceeds go towards a cause. Because October is Breast Cancer awareness month, usually the money raised goes to support Breast Cancer research. But for the past few years, the team has dedicated the night to causes that are a little more personal for them. Junior Katelyn Wells lost her mother during the summer of 2017, and the team hosted “Pass the Love” last season to remember Kathy Wells.

“Pass the Love meant a lot to me and my family,” says Katelyn. “Losing a parents at our age is incredibly hard. But with the support that Leah and I have had, it’s been a lot easier, and we’ve been able to be strong. We are so grateful for the coaches and the team and for everyone who donates.”

This Wednesday, all are invited to attend “Superman Night,” an homage Joe Fouquette’s nickname. The JV game starts at 4 o’clock, and Varsity will start around 5 in the gym at Lyme-Old Lyme High School. There will be pizza and baked goods available for purchase during the game as well as Superman shirts to honor Joe’s legacy. All of the proceeds will benefit a college fund for Leah.

“We would really appreciate it if a lot of people showed their support on Superman Night,” says senior volleyball captain Jocelyn Campbell. “We hope that Leah and her family realize how much love and support they have and how much we care.”